Friday 27 February 2015

Life Drawing week 7

A few false starts trying to use pencil left me reverting to charcoal sticks this week. For whatever reason, it felt like I was even slower at getting the gesture poses down than normal. Too much time on the torsos, not enough on blocking out the rest of the figure.


Some doodles, essentially, trying to mess around with line economy, seeing what is essential to the drawing and how to create depth without heavy shading.

I actually really liked the dimensions here but again got caught out with time trying to perfect the back before moving on.


Unfortunately this took some heavy charcoal transfer from another drawing on the way home, but again I quite liked the overall shape. The left leg especially seemed to work well.

The redrawn line of the stomach was a huge readjustment; I held a pencil up to the angle, transferred that across and drew the diagonal line you see from the armpit down, which made me change up the rest of the drawing.

This longer pose took a huge amount of time to get underway and still has some glaring issues, which may have been fixed by including more detail. I didn't really capture the part-turned chest. There's not much to this one, really.

The second model's approach to gesture poses was much more energetic, which really helped lossen up my approach. Even though I don't feel like these were 'good' drawings, at least I was unafraid to just attack the page.

I liked the way these were going, and would have like a couple more minutes to get the legs on and see whether I could represent the weight distribution.

The last piece felt a little disjointed, the arms were too big and I think the angle from which I was looking foreshortened the legs a little and I didn't readjust. Or perhaps it's just the right leg, and if I'd have made it clearer that it was stepping forward the mismatch in the foot position wouldn't have been as bad.
Overall a bit of a stalling week, although I have learned that I should just start the session by loosening up and not worrying out any final product. Again, too cautious.


No comments:

Post a Comment